Bath private hospital grows NHS patient capacity 

PPU Watch

Compiled by Philip Housden

Royal United Hospitals (RUH) Bath NHS Trust is investing in a £25m extension to its Sulis Hospital, which treats both NHS and private patients. 

The new building, due for completion in late 2024, will create up to 100 new jobs and include two modular theatres, inpatient beds, seven extra day case pods and conversion of two existing theatres to laminar flow theatres. 

Called the Sulis Elective Ortho­paedic Centre, this will be an NHS elective surgery hub, serving patients from across the South-west, delivering an additional 3,750 non-emergency, orthopaedic operations for NHS patients each year.

Around 60% of capacity will be used to carry out elective orthopaedic procedures that would otherwise be managed at the RUH’s main Combe Park site, with the remaining 40% available to support the wider region’s NHS elective recovery programme and future growth in demand from the ageing population.

Sulis Hospital director Simon Milner said: ‘This milestone enables us to continue offering exceptional healthcare to the wider community. Our agile approach means we can meet the growing demand for NHS healthcare while maintaining and growing our private practice. 

‘Continuous investment in facilities and technology ensures high standards of patient-centred care.’

RUH acquired the former Circle Bath hospital in June 2021, with the objective of securing additional elective capacity for NHS patients in Bath and the South-west.

The acquisition has also enabled a significant rise in private patient revenues. 

Trust private patient income before the acquisition was £585,000 – 0.2% of total trust income – and this has shot up to £16.1m, the 7th highest in England and highest outside London – 3.3% of total income, 6th highest in NHS.

Philip Housden (right) is director of Housden Group commercial healthcare consultancy