Future Healthcare

Build a relationship with your architect

Earlsmarch study

A kitchen and orangery in a new-build house

Expanding your practice or your home? Philip McQuillen gives some excellent advice.

1 Make sure you are appointing a chartered architect

Earlsmarch kitchen

Study with bespoke joinery in the same detached London house as above. All pictures are of architectural projects designed by Philip McQuillen

There are companies offering architectural design services who are not necessarily architects. If it is an architect you are looking to work with, then make sure they are registered with the Architects Registration Board (ARB).

The title ‘architect’ is protected under the Architects Act 1997. The Act protects the public from dishonest individuals who deliberately mislead people by calling themselves architects.

2 Choose an architect who is right for you and your project

The ARB is the statutory body for the registration of architects in the UK. Its website (www.arb.org.uk) is a good place to start.